Are you a fan of basketball? If yes, then you must have heard about NBA. I am a big fan of the NBA having many valuable NBA jerseys, so I am writing about it and my favorite sport- Basketball. Please keep reading to know more about them.
What is NBA?
There might be several leagues played around the world, but the league that leads the others is ‘NBA.’ The National Board of Association, or NBA, is a basketball league played professionally by various teams in North America and is considered one of the best leagues in the world. The league has 30 teams, 29 of which are from the United States, and one is from Canada.
When it was founded in 1946, it was known as the Basketball Association of America or BAA, but in 1949, its name changed to NBA and merged with National Basketball League. Not only that, but NBA also merged with American Basketball Association or ABA in 1976, leading to an add-up of four more franchisees.
Some Important Things to Know about the League
- NBA and USAB are connected with each other as the former is an active member of the latter.
- The season in which the regular games take place is from mid of October to early April.
- Every team gets to play around 82 games, half on the road and half at home.
- A game is divided into four quarters, each being 12 minutes long.
- Including the game time, half times, intermissions that takes place between quarters, time outs, free throws, official review time, etc., the game lasts about 2-3 hours.
- The game continues in the case of ties because these can’t end in ties.
- Teams that maintain good scores or records can get into playoff sessions.
- When it is a playoff session, the games get extended to June, and the winning team becomes the world champion. That is the most triumphant moment.
- Playoffs are more exciting and significant for the audience as well as the players.
- The winners are declared or crowned after playing four rounds of playoffs.
- Every division winner gets the playoff spot as an honor.
- The Players in NBA are one of the highest-paid athletes in the world.
Great NBA Teams
As mentioned above, there are 30 NBA teams in the league. Following are the names of these great teams:
- The Golden State Warriors
- The LA Lakers
- The Boston Celtics
- The Chicago Bulls
- Cleveland Cavaliers
- Miami Heat
- Houston Rockets
- Oklahoma City Thunder
- Milwaukee Bucks
- Brooklyn Nets
- Los Angeles Clippers
- San Antonio Spurs
- Toronto Raptors
- Philadelphia 76ers
- New York Knicks
- Dallas Mavericks
- Phoenix Suns
- Portland Trailblazers
- Minnesota Timberwolves
- New Orleans Pelicans
- Indiana Pacers
- Atlanta Hawks
- Charlotte Hornets
- Denver Nuggets
- Sacramento Kings
- Orlando Magic
- Washington Wizards
- Memphis Grizzlies
- Detroit Pistons
- Utah Jazz
As mentioned above, NBA is one of the top leagues around the globe. The thrill, excitement, and fun one gets while watching these games are worthwhile. No wonder it is considered the best league in the world.