Chandigarh is the most planned city in India and is also known as one of the best experiments of our architects. It is the capital city of both Haryana and Punjab and is growing at a commendable rate. The city is also low on pollution with a higher quality of life, making it one of the most desirable cities to live in. The city has many educational and cultural intuitions, such as Punjab University, Punjab Engineering College, the Government College of Art, and the Government Medical College.
Chandigarh ranks highest on many wish lists when we think of spending quality time with family or friends. It has many beautiful hill stations like Solan, Kasauli, Nalagarh, Parwanoo, etc., which are nearest to the city and are ideal for a one-day trip. And the most important thing is the variety of lip-smacking food delicacies that this city offers, making it a piece of heaven for food lovers. There are many places to be explored in and around Chandigarh, with some of the most luxurious hotels to make your visit (both work and leisure) most pleasurable such as jw marriott chandigarh, which is built beautifully and located centrally. The hotel also offers one of the best spa services in the city.
Here’s a list of all the places that can be visited to explore this beautiful city:
- Rock Garden: This sculpture garden was conceptualized by a government official in 1957. It is spread over an area of approximately 40 acres, and the sculpture is built out of industrial, discarded, and recycled items and home waste. The imagination behind building this is ahead of its time, and such creativity is beyond many public art spaces. It consists of artificial waterfalls and sculptures made of scrap and waste like broken tiles, bangles, electrical brackets, washroom sinks, etc. This place has some of the finest “best of waste” art pieces that will surely surprise many.
- Sukhna Lake: This city is known for this lake which is a man-made lake formed in the year 1958. It lies in the foothills of the Shivalik Range of Chandigarh. It is known for having a lot of recreational places to entertain people of all ages, especially children, as it has swings, electrical rails, etc., for kids to enjoy. They also have the facility for boating and enjoying the city’s scenic beauty. It is very peaceful, and families choose this location to spend quality time together. You can also spot beautiful glimpses of the moon overseeing the lake if you stay here till late evening.
- War Memorial: The largest war memorial in the country is located in the quaint and beautiful Bougainvillea Garden in Sector 3 Chandigarh. The walls of this memorial are made up of pink sandstone, which contains names of over 8500 soldiers from our Army, Air Force, and Navy. The architecture here is quite aesthetic, with a terrace-like sitting area that is open and conducts many light and sound shows. Must visit this place to experience the true patriotism in our country.
- Greens and Garden: There are many gardens to be explored in this beautiful city, such as Zakir Husain Rose Garden, Japanese Garden, etc. Let us take you through these gardens and their specialty in detail. Rose Garden is one of the most beautiful places in Sector 16, Chandigarh. It was built in the year 1967 under the guidance of Mohinder Singh Randhawa, the first chief commissioner of Chandigarh. It is a botanical garden spread over 30 acres of land with a variety of 50,000 rose bushes of 1600 different species. It is one of Asia’s largest gardens. The second is the Japanese Garden which is located in Sector 31 and will take you to the beautiful city of Kyoto. It is designed using Japanese architecture, and every nook and corner of this park will give you a feel of Japan. Some of the attractions in this park are the Pagoda Tower, the sculpture of a Japanese couple, the extravagant Buddha idol and dragon sculpture, etc.
- Pinjore Garden: The next is Pinjore Garden which is one of the most beautiful places to visit in Chandigarh. It has an impressive range of aromatic flora, which includes mango orchards, shrubs, and other trees. It also has an open-air theatre and is known for its seven terraces that make the overlooking view of the gardens more serene. Many celebrations are held in this garden, such asPinjore Heritage Festival, Baisakhi Festival, Mango Festival, etc.
- Sector 17 and 22: Who can go for a holiday without some shopping? So here it is -These markets are the most well-known markets known for their variety of international outlet stores, lip-smacking food stalls, and eateries, which are both favorites among adults and kids. Most of the city’s hotels are located in and around these markets.
- Lake reserve forest Natural Trail: This forest, also known as Sukhna Wildlife Sanctuary, has been located in the Shivalik Hills of the city (Since 1998). One can plan to visit Sukhnalake and the Sukhna wildlife sanctuary on the same day as they are just 2 km away. It is spread over an area of approximately 2600 hectares of forest. The variety of flora that can be found in this reserve forest is Khair, Shisham, Chhal, Neem, and many more varieties of trees, shrubs, herbs, and grasses. The variety of fauna includes common mongoose, parrots, doves, woodpeckers, hill myna, peacock, Indian hare, wild boar, jungle cat, jackal, etc.
In addition to these, some other interesting places can be visited if one has planned an entire week in this city. These are Iskcon Temple, Government Museum and Art Gallery, Chandigarh Capitol Complex, Garden of Fragrance, International Dolls Museum, Butterfly Park, and many more.
The weather of this city is characterized by extreme summers, cold winters, and unpredictable monsoon season. Hence, a preferable time to visit this place is September to February as by then the monsoon season is over, and it is beginning to feel pleasant, which is usually followed by cold winds post-October.